Dubai: Saudi Arabia on Sunday confirmed 119 new cases of the deadly coronavirus, raising the total number of cases in the country to 511, the spokesman for the Ministry of Health said, according to Al Arabiya.
The confirmed cases include 72 Turkish citizens.
Most of the confirmed cases were detected in Mecca (72 people) followed by Riyadh (34), Dammam (4), Qatif (4), Al Ahsa (3), Al Khobar (3) , Dhahran (1) and Al Qassim (1), according to Mohammed Al Abd Al Ali, spokesman for the Ministry of Health.
Al Ali said that 40 cases who tested positive for COVID-19 contracted the virus from infected people, and are linked to attending social gatherings. He affirmed that all those who were in contact with confirmed cases are being isolated.
The Kingdom today also reported that 17 people have recovered from the deadly virus.
A total of 23,000 tests were conducted in Saudi Arabia, the ministry spokesman said, adding that strict measures will continue to be implemented in the country to contain the outbreak.
Thirty-three per cent of coronavirus infections in Saudi Arabia are a result of people coming into contact with previously infected individuals and taking part in social gatherings, like weddings, funerals, and family get-togethers, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs reported on early on Sunday.
“We urge people to stay at home. That is the best way to protect themselves from the virus,” Al Ali added.