Dubai: Sheikh Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah, Kuwait’s Deputy Emir and Crown Prince, has called for national unity in tackling corruption, following the leak of videos he deemed were an “encroachment on people’s freedoms and privacy.
He affirmed that no offender will escape punishment.
- In pictures: 'Ring of fire' solar eclipse wows across Asia
- Photos: Biennial Kuwait Aviation Show kicks off with flypasts
- COVID-19: How India plans repatriation of stranded citizens from UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UK and rest of the world
- In pictures: Rafael Nadal launches new tennis academy in Kuwait
In a televised address to the public, Sheikh Nawaf said: “The social media revelations are manifestations of meddling and chaos in the nation, particularly in relation to the recent leaks that affect some employees in our security institutions.” This matter has been an “attempt by some to cause disharmony and stir up strife”, he underlined
Earlier last week, Kuwait suspended the director-general of state security, the former director of the money laundering department, and a number of high-ranking officers over leaked recordings that date back to 2018.
The decision came following investigations carried out by a probe committee, the Interior Ministry’s public relations and security media department said in a statement last Thursday. The minister, who doubles as Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs, also decided to send the case to the Public Prosecution.
Kuwaiti Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Anas Al Saleh, who is also the minister of state for Cabinet affairs, ordered an urgent and swift investigation into the 2018 recordings, which were brought up during the minister’s parliamentary grilling session this week, over reports that the interior ministry is spying on citizens.
The grilling ended with 10 lawmakers presenting a no-confidence motion against Al Saleh. The parliament is scheduled to vote on the motion on August 26.
There was a massive public uproar in the country after leaked recordings on social media revealed that personal accounts of prominent public figures, among them lawmakers and journalists, were being monitored.
“I have ordered an urgent investigation, the results of which will be delivered within 48 hours, regarding the 2018 recordings,” Al Saleh said, adding that spying on citizens’ accounts is gravely unconstitutional.