Stock Kuwait City skyline
Kuwait has recently seen a surge in infection rates prompting authorities to tighten restrictions to contain the spread. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Cairo: Kuwaiti authorities have denied claims that access to markets and government institutions in the country is linked to getting vaccination against COVID-19.

Commenting on the claims, the Interior Ministry said it has not issued a decision barring entry to markets, commercial centres and state institutions without showing cards proving that their holders have received the vaccine against the contagion, Kuwaiti newspaper Al Jarida has reported.

“What is circulated on social media about such a decision is incorrect,” the ministry’s security media department said.

In late December, Kuwait initiated vaccinations against COVID-19.

The country has recently seen a surge in infection rates, prompting authorities to tighten restrictions to contain the spread.

First case

On Monday, Kuwait registered 1,179 coronavirus cases, its highest daily rate since it reported its first case in February last year.

The country so far has reported a total of 194,781 coronavirus cases and 1,097 related deaths.

Kuwait has barred non-Kuwaitis from entering the country since February 7 as part of measures to contain the spread of COVID-19. The ban has been extended until further notice.

Starting from February 24, Kuwait closed its land and sea borders until March 20 for the same reason.