Thiruvananthapuram: Unable to attend online classes in Kerala which began on Monday, a Grade 10 student set herself ablaze, according to her parents.
Hailing from a poor family and living in a small house at Valancherry in Malappurram, the bright student was upset as the TV in her house was not working and the only mobile phone in their home was not charged.
Her parents said that right from Monday morning after she was unable to attend the online classes, she was gloomy and was all by herself.
After her mother found out that she was missing from the house, a search was conducted. The burned body of the girl was found about 200 metres from their home.
A bottle of kerosene was found near her burned body.
The autopsy will be conducted later at the state-run Manjeri Medical College hospital and the body will be handed to the family to conduct the last rites.
Local legislator Abid Hussain Thangal said this incident could have been avoided if proper arrangements were made for students with no access to TV or mobile phones.
“We had raised this aspect with the education authorities but do not think there were any arrangements for those who did not have a TV or a smart phone. She was a very bright student,” said Thangal.
The girl’s father is a labourer, and on account of the lockdown had no work and hence no money to repair their TV.