Dubai: Breaking traffic rules may lead to more serious consequences than just a traffic fine, as the loss of life becomes a probability.
During the first six months of 2018, Dubai Police recorded 76 deaths and 884 injuries in 1,250 major traffic accidents.
While the number of fatalities remained the same compared to 2017, the number of traffic accidents decreased from 1,447.
• Sudden swerving main cause of road deaths in Dubai
Brig Saif Muhair Al Mazroui, director of Traffic Department in Dubai Police, attributed the drop in road accidents due to an increase in road security control and police’s efforts in raising awareness about traffic rules violations.
According to recent statistics provided by Dubai Police, the most dangerous roads are:
1. Emirates Road with 14 deaths and 30 serious traffic accidents.
2. Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Road had eight deaths and 72 traffic accidents.
3. Shaikh Zayed Road had eight deaths and 69 major traffic accidents.
4. Dubai-Al Ain Road witnessed four deaths and 26 serious accidents.
5. Al Khail Road had three deaths and 34 accidents.
The most recent accident happened on July 16, when Gulf News reported three motorists were killed and eight others were injured in a traffic accident on Emirates Road.
The incident happened at 1pm when a minibus and a truck collided into each other.
Brigadier Al Mazroui cautioned motorists to follow traffic rules at all times, follow the speed limit and to leave a safe distance between vehicles.