The Fujairah Fort, perched high up on a 20-metre rocky hill overlooking the historic town of Fujairah 2km away, served as a symbol of power and refuge for the local inhabitants of Fujairah in the old days. It was where rulers performed their administrative duties, resolving tribal conflicts that were rife during that period.
But the fort also served another purpose for the community. Because of its stability and height, it was a fortress for the people seeking protection as they weathered storms back then. Such refuge is critical to the community as Fujairah sits along the coast of the Gulf of Oman, which makes it prone to weather disturbances.
The fort was constructed using materials available in the area at that time such as rock, gravel and clay stacked together using lime-based plaster. Radiocarbon analysis estimates that the fort was constructed between 1500 and 1550, according to the Fujairah Tourism and Antiquities Authority. The fort has three circular towers while the fourth one is a square for halls.