Dubai: Three British men in custody appeared at Westminster’s Magistrates Court in London (MET) on Saturday for bludgeoning three Emirati women with a hammer in their hotel room.

A British man, Philip Spence, has been accused of three counts of attempted murder and one of aggravated burglary, while three others have also been charged with handling stolen goods.

Spence, a 32-year-old from London, was remanded in custody following his appearance at West London Magistrates’ Court.

London Police revealed that all the suspects are British nationals. Investigations revealed that the motive behind the attack was burglary.

In a statement, the MET revealed the identities of and charges of all the suspects.

The main suspect was identified as Spence, who was charged on April 11 with three counts of attempted murder and one count of aggravated burglary.

Thomas Efremi, 56, of Upper Handa Walk, was charged with handling stolen goods and fraud by false representation. James Moss, 33, of Hanley Road, was charged with handling stolen goods.

A woman, Carly Baker, 31, of Hanley Road, who was charged with handling stolen goods, was bailed and will appear in court on Tuesday.

London Metropolitan Police on Friday night also revealed that the fourth male suspect, aged 34, has been bailed to return, pending further inquiries, on a date in May.

An Emirati woman attacked in her London hotel in a suspected burglary last weekend lost an eye and has been left with only five per cent of her brain function, police said on Saturday.

The woman and her two sisters, all from the UAE, were brutally attacked with a hammer in their room at the four-star Cumberland Hotel in the early hours of last Sunday.

Outside court, police gave an update on the victims, who are all in their 30s and were in London for a shopping trip.

“The main victim suffered life-threatening head and facial injuries, has lost her left eye and significant quantities of blood,” Detective Inspector Adam Ghaboos said.

“Doctors have assessed that she has five per cent brain function, although her other organs are in good working function,” he added, without elaborating further.

Another sister suffered two fractures to her skull, a broken left arm and a fractured cheekbone, and is due to undergo two operations in the coming week.

The third sister has a fracture to her skull and a ruptured left eardrum. She was released from hospital on Tuesday but was readmitted the following day with severe head pains.

Three children were asleep in an adjoining room during the attack, but they were unharmed.

With inputs from agencies