Dubai: A flight attendant, who tried to rape his colleague at his home when he invited her over for a drink, has been jailed for two years. The victim was also his girlfriend’s best friend.

The 28-year-old Filipina foiled the attempt of the 27-year-old Indonesian flight attendant, M.H. to rape her when she kicked his chest and pushed him off her after he carried her into his bedroom.

The Dubai Court of First Instance found M.H. guilty of attempted rape.

Presiding judge Mohammad Jamal ordered the defendant to pay Dh21,000 in compensation to the Filipina.

“He will be deported following the completion of his punishment,” said presiding Judge Jamal on Sunday.

The Filipina testified that after she accepted M.H.’s invitation for a drink, he carried her to his bedroom where he removed her clothes and tried to rape her.

The defendant pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors said the defendant abused his friendship with the woman and invited her to his flat. He sat beside her when she arrived and hugged her, according to records, before he started kissing her.

When she resisted him, M.H. pulled her into the bedroom where he attempted to rape her twice and molested her.

When questioned by prosecutors, the defendant admitted that the woman accepted his invitation to come over for a drink at his place on October 4.

The defendant claimed that he drank one glass of alcohol while his coworker had three.

“When I kissed her, she prevented me. She told me that I was a good man and that what I was doing was unusual. I carried her into the bedroom… she resisted me. She prevented me from continuing what I was doing. She ordered me to stop and reminded me that she is my girlfriend’s best friend,” M.H. was quoted telling prosecutors.

The woman testified that she had to kick M.H. in his stomach and chest to push him away.

“Then I spoke to him calmly and convinced him to let me freshen up and prepare myself. I rushed to my residence and called my friends who informed the police,” the Filipina said.

A Yemeni policeman said the incident happened in an aviation company’s accommodation. A forensic examiner said the woman’s body didn’t bear any signs of physical violence.

Sunday’s judgement remains subject to appeal within 15 days.