Dubai: A massive fire broke out in the lobby of Dubai's next most-anticipated landmark, The Atlantis Hotel on the Palm Jumeirah, on Tuesday.
There are no casualties reported in the blaze that broke out around 7am. According to Dubai Civil Defence, 270 people were evacuated from the five-star hotel, and the fire was doused by 10.15 am. An initial investigation carried out by Dubai police suggests the fire might have started as welders were working in the area.
"We cannot confirm the exact cause of the fire until we conclude our investigations," said Brigadier Abdul Jalil Mahdi, Deputy Director of Dubai Police's Criminal Investigation Department (CID) for Preventative Security.
The hotel management said the extent of damage was yet to be estimated. "There was limited damage to the external roof and lobby dome," Atlantis said.
They also said that the accident would not cause delay in the scheduled opening of the five-star resort on September 24. Sources, however, told Gulf News the opening would be delayed.
Fast facts: Opulent structure
- Atlantis resort valued at $1.5 billion (Dh5.5 billion)
- Hotel valued at $1 billion (Dh3.6 billion)
- Includes the 17-hectare Aquaventure waterpark and Dolphin Bay; home to 28 dolphins
- Atlantis is home to one of the world's biggest water tanks, the Ambassador Lagoon, which holds 11 million litres of water and 65,000 fish.
- 1,539 rooms in total
- 150 suites in total
- 2 presidential suites
- 35 regal suites
- Average price of regular suite is $454 (Dh1, 668) per night
- The 924-metre Bridge Suite that connects the east and west towers costs $25,000 (Dh91, 830) per night
- 17 food and beverage outlets
- 23 boutique shops
History: Blazes from the past
- August 26, 2008: Eleven workers died in a fire that broke out in a bachelor accommodation in Naif area, Deira.
- August 17: A fire broke out near Burj Dubai on Shaikh Zayed Road. No one was hurt.
- May 17: Civil Defence put out a blaze that destroyed an engineer's office in the Business Bay project area. No injuries were reported.
- May 14: A fire broke out at around 2pm in a building under construction at Tecom Investments' Tecom B site in Dubai Internet City. No casualties were reported.
- May 3: Two fire fighters died while battling a fire that broke out in a building under construction at Palm Jumeirah.
- April 7: A warehouse containing wood and fibreglass was caught on fire in Ras Al Khor.
- April 3: A blaze gutted a warehouse triggering road closures and traffic jams in the Al Quoz Industrial Area 3.
- April 2: A blaze ravaged the Naif Souq in Deira. 183 shops were gutted while eight people were treated for smoke inhalation.
- March 27: Two people were killed and five injured when a huge fire engulfed warehouses in Al Qouz after an explosion in a fireworks warehouse.
- March 22: Two warehouses in the al Jaddaf area were gutted by fire. Four people were injured.
- March 15: Fire broke out at a factory located at the Jebel Ali Industrial area. No casualties were reported.
- February 19: Fire erupted at a labour accommodation in Al Quoz Industrial area that engulfed four Portakabins.
- Compiled from Gulf News Archives