Sharjah: A total of 55 workers were taken to hospitals after they were exposed to chemical fumes at a plant in Sharjah on Wednesday, officials said.

The authorities are investigating the incident which occurred at a plant owned by Bee’ah, a waste management company, police said. Details about the plant or nature of its activity were not immediately available.

The affected workers were exposed to chemical fumes.

The incident occurred at around 4am on Wednesday and the workers who complained of uneasiness were taken to Kuwait Hospital, Al Qassimi Hospital and Al Dhaid Hospital.

A total of 55 workers were treated and discharged and only one worker was admitted.

Dr Eisa Al Moa’almi, head of the emergency department at Kuwait Hospital, told Gulf News that the hospital received 12 Indian, one Pakistani and three Nepalese workers after the incident at around 4.30am, and they were discharged at 6.30am.

Al Moa’almi said the workers were suffering from sore throat, chest pain and difficulty in breathing.

The doctor did not identify the chemicals involved.

Initial investigation showed that the incident occurred when they were mixing chemicals.