Muscat: A young man, driving without a licence, killed two people as death toll from road accidents last week reached 14.
The speeding driver ran over three women after losing control of control his vehicle in the residential neighbourhood of Mabella in Seeb district on Wednesday.
Two women died on the spot while the third is battling for her life at a hospital in Muscat. The driver escaped with minor injuries, Royal Oman Police (ROP) said on Saturday
"Five people were killed in Muscat last in road accidents as the countrywide count rose to 14," a spokesperson for the ROP's Public Relations Department said.
Besides, 177 people were injured in 141 traffic accidents recorded by the police last week.
Meanwhile, the police have decided to detain drivers, who cross the speed limit by 80km per hour, for 48 hours and impose a fine of up to 50 Omani riyals. Last year, according to ROP statistics, 2.2 million cases of speeding were recorded.
The police have also decided to crackdown on jaywalkers.