bounced cheques
Picture used for illustrative purposes only. Image Credit: Supplied

Dubai: If you have been issued a cheque which has not been honoured by the bank, how can you raise the issue with the concerned authorities in the UAE?

Issuing a cheque when one has insufficient funds is a criminal and civil law violation in the UAE. A person can file criminal and civil cases if a cheque issued to them bounces. While the criminal case is only filed to impose a criminal penalty (varying from fine to imprisonment), a civil case is registered to seek the amount of the cheque along with any compensation, interests and other precautionary measures including travel ban.

Also read

The UAE’s Ministry of Interior allows individuals to file a case for a bounced cheque as a ‘financial report’, either through one of its happiness centres or online through the ‘MOI UAE’ app, which is available for Apple and Android phones.

Applying for a bounced cheque case at MOI happiness service centres

You can apply for a financial report at any of the MOI customer happiness centres. You would need to present certain documents to file the complaint.

Documents required

These are the documents you will need to provide:

• Emirates ID

• Passport copy

• A letter from the applicant, duly stamped describing why the bank cannot honour the cheque.

• Original cheque

Apply through the MOI UAE app

If you wish to file a complaint through the Ministry’s app, follow these steps:

• To submit a new Financial incident request, choose the service icon which is available in the police services category – Smart police station services section.

How to file a bounced cheque case
Select the 'Financial incidents' service.

• A list of all previous incidents will appear. To create and submit a new request, click on the ADD icon.

• Accept service terms and conditions to be able to access the service.

• Move the pin on the map to locate the incident location then click on next button.

• Select the reporting method (writing, voice recording, video recording or taking a photo).

How to file a bounced cheque case
You can provide information through various means.

• Enter incidents details, attach any evidence you may have, then click on the ‘Submit’ button.

How to file a bounced cheque case
Enter your personal details.

You will receive an application number and can track the progress of your application through the Ministry of Interior app.

How to file a bounced cheque case
You will finally receive an application number.

Applying through the MOI website

1. Visit the MOI website - From the e-services list, select the ‘Service Catalogue’ and then the ‘Crime Security’ category.

2. Select the ‘File Financial Reports (non-sufficient funds/bounced cheque)’ service.

3. Fill in your personal data and report details mentioned above.

4. Pin the location at which the incident took place.

5. Add the attachments related to the incidents. You must attach at least one copy of the cheque.

6. Confirm that you have attached the original copy or a photocopy of the cheque and click ‘Submit’.

Once you receive the application tracking ID, you will receive updates on your application from the Ministry. You can also reach out to the Ministry to follow up on your case by calling 800 5000 or sending an email to