Manama: Two children left locked in a car by their parents on Wednesday died from smoke inhalation after they were engulfed by a fire.

Reports from Saudi Arabia said that the parents parked the car next to a shopping complex in Sakaka, an oasis town in northwestern Saudi Arabia, and left the children to do their shopping.

However, some time later, shoppers were shocked to see the car on fire with the two children in it. Civil service spokesman Atallah Al Rouaili later said that the fire started at the rear of the car and that the two siblings died from smoke inhalation. He added that the fire could have been started by one of the two children playing with a lighter left in the car.