Manama: Kuwait’s Emir Shaikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah on Tuesday performed noon prayers in the renovated Al Sadiq Mosque where a suicide bomber killed 27 people one year ago.
The ruler, who had visited the Shiite mosque hours after the terrorist attack, also met relatives of those killed and wounded while performing the Friday prayers last year.
Wednesday, which falls on Ramadan 9 on the Islamic Hijri calendar, marks one Hijri year since the attack.
“Our national unity is the unassailable fence that safeguards security,” Shaikh Sabah told them. “The patriotic spirit manifested by the people of Kuwait and their love, devotion and allegiance to their homeland would fend off all criminal and terrorist acts.”
Crown Prince Shaikh Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah lauded the unity of Kuwaitis as they confronted the challenge of heinous terrorism.
“One year after the terrible attack on Imam Al Sadiq Mosque and the destruction and damage resulting from an awry terrorist ideology, we thank God that the renovation works were finished in a short time and that life as before is resuming, thus proving the unity of the nation in confronting all deviations,” Shaikh Nawaf was quoted as saying by Kuwait News Agency (Kuna). “Kuwait’s leaders, government and people are a single family that is united through both good and trying times.”
Several relatives said they valued the visit by the country’s leaders to the mosque, located in a busy area to the east of the capital Kuwait City, saying it reflected the national unity that terrorists wanted to undermine.