Karachi: Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah has allowed restaurants in the province to resume takeaway service for customers with safety precautions against the spread of coronavirus infection.
The decision to this effect was taken as the Sindh CM chaired a meeting of the provincial coronavirus task force here at the CM House on Wednesday.
In a previous meeting of the task force, it was decided that the restaurants would only be allowed to do home delivery as takeaway service was being suspended. The restaurants are not allowed indoor and outdoor dine-in services due to the COVID-19 lockdown restrictions.
In his latest meeting, the CM said that nobody would be allowed to get down from the vehicle for takeaway services. He said that restaurants would not be allowed any seating arrangement at their premises.
The district administration will seal restaurants that do not observe these safety precautions.
Shah appealed to the public to avoid visiting relatives at their homes during Eid Al Fitr in view of the coronavirus threat.
He recalled that the coronavirus positivity ratio had increased to 30 per cent last year after Eid Al Fitr in May 2020.
The meeting was briefed that the COVID-19 positivity ratio in the province was 4.71 per cent with 23 deaths in the first week of Ramadan, but shot up to 7.08 per cent with 64 deaths in the fourth week of Ramadan.
The chief minister also appealed to people to stay at home on Eid Al Fitr.
The CM also ordered officials to open more coronavirus vaccination centres in the main cities of the province after Eid Al Fitr.
He asked the provincial health authorities to keep COVID-19 vaccination centres in Sindh open during the Eid Al Fitr holidays.