Can’t focus on your food, because you need to look at your phone? No problem, this “modern thali” (plate used to serve food in South Asia) might be a solution. Yesterday, Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh tweeted a meme, leaving Twitter users in splits. The modern plate has a special space reserved for a mobile phone.
Traditionally, a thali, used to serve food in South Asia and Southeast Asia, has compartments on the it for various food items.
The renowned top spinner @harbhajan_singh captioned the picture: “Modern thali with space for phone, order yours.”
Singh’s post has garnered over 150,000 likes. While many online users called it a funny, but practical and innovative solution, others said it highlighted a modern problem that people were addicted to mobile phones even during mealtime.
A twitter user @imShayanGhosh15 commented: “This is funny as well as saddening... Respect your food and have it with dedication.”
- From the editors: Controversy over the LOL dolls and ceasefire in Libya
- Cartoons: Pressing issues confronting the Middle East and the world
- Raigad building collapse: Two killed, over 60 rescued, many feared to be trapped under debris
- Photos: Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations begin in India amid COVID-19 restrictions
Another tweep @Himansh36027147 posted: “While reading this tweet, I’m doing the same thing, phone in one hand, and having my meal.”
- From Kareena Kapoor to Sara Ali Khan, this is what your favourite Bollywood stars have been up to this week
- In photos: Rhea Chakraborty’s arrest divides Bollywood
- Top news in pictures: India’s MX TakaTak soars, typhoon ravages Korea, US-China trade row, biggest airshow cancelled, oil declines, Akshay’s new look, Russia ‘poisoning’ case
- Sara Ali Khan to Ananya Panday: See how Bollywood star kids are spending summer
- From Sanjay Dutt to Ranbir Kapoor, Bollywood celebrities who went public with addiction struggle
Meanwhile, the off-spinner will not compete in this season’s Indian Premier League in the UAE, starting on September 19. Last weekend, Singh who would have joined his Chennai Super Kings teammates in Dubai, called off on Friday, citing personal reasons. "Harbhajan Singh informed us he won’t be available due to personal reasons. Team Chennai Super Kings is supportive of his decision and stands by him and his family during these testing times," CSK said in a statement.