A girl died by suicide after her father stopped her from studying. This happened in Moradabad district from the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh on Sunday. Later, the father reportedly tried to burn his daughter's body.
According to some Indian news channels, police have recovered a suicide note from the deceased girl's residence, in which she has alleged that her father, Kapil Kumar, did not let her study.
- From the editors: Controversy over the LOL dolls and ceasefire in Libya
- Cartoons: Pressing issues confronting the Middle East and the world
- Raigad building collapse: Two killed, over 60 rescued, many feared to be trapped under debris
- Photos: Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations begin in India amid COVID-19 restrictions
Confirming the incident, while talking to media, Amit Anand, Superintendent of Police (SP)said: "We were informed that a girl had consumed poison. Later, when we reached the spot, we recovered the body in a burnt condition and was sent immediately for the post-mortem. A case has been registered against the father. A suicide note has also been recovered in which the deceased girl has alleged that her father stopped her from studying.
"As per the investigation, Kumar had informed his relatives on September 13 that his daughter has consumed the poison. When the relatives reached here, they saw Kumar was trying to burn the body, and they immediately informed the police."
- From the Editors: UAE celebrates its COVID-19 warriors, while Joe Biden remains buoyant and Bollywood salutes Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- India’s Mahindra unveils all-new 2021 Thar SUV
- Bollywood’s Kangana Ranaut and Vicky Kaushal among stars celebrating India’s Independence Day
- From Amit Shah to Sania Mirza, tributes pour in for MS. Dhoni as he ends his international innings in cricket
The accused has managed to escape from the spot, and the investigation is underway. A case has also been registered against the accused under sections 306 and 201 of the Indian Penal Code.