Dubai: A man has been jailed for three years for raping two women at knife-point and under threat of having them gang-raped after he served them coffee at his residence.

The 29-year-old Egyptian man, M.A., got acquainted with a 27-year-old Filipina employee over a social media network and asked her out for coffee.

She went along with her 25-year-old friend to meet M.A., who took them to his residence and raped both of them on his bed.

The Dubai Court of First Instance convicted M.A. of rape and jailed him for three years.

“The accused will be deported following the completion of his imprisonment,” said Presiding Judge Wajdi Al Menyawi in courtroom three.

Records said when the defendant went to the washroom to clean up after he raped the women, the latter ran out from his flat in International City on September 19.

“I strongly deny the accusation,” M.A. told the court when he entered a not guilty plea.

Prosecutors charged the Egyptian with having sex with the two Filipinas at the same time after he threatened to invite his friends over to gang-rape them if they refused to yield. He threatened the Filipinas with a kitchen knife. The employee testified that the defendant claimed to be a Brazilian named Kylo when she first met him over a social network on September 17.

“He invited me for coffee. I took my friend with me and he picked us up and took us to his flat. When we finished having coffee he claimed that he wanted to sleep and said he would drop us home in the morning. We went towards the door wanting to leave … he picked up a knife and stopped us. He asked to have sex with both of us otherwise he would bring his friends to rape us. We felt scared and had to yield to his threats. When he went to the bathroom, we dressed up and ran away,” the 27-year-old claimed to prosecutors.

The 25-year-old friend confirmed her countrywoman’s statement. She claimed that M.A. pointed the knife at her stomach when he asked to have sex with them.

A Pakistani driver claimed that the women seemed scared when they asked him to drive them home.

“They told me that someone threatened them with a knife,” claimed the driver.

Thursday’s judgement remains subject to appeal within 15 days.