Abu Dhabi: Around 30 people were admitted to Al Mafraq Hospital in Abu Dhabi over a week due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

There is an increase in carbon monoxide in the air lately because families are burning coal and wood to keep their homes warm, said Dr Hatem Farag Al Amri of Mafraq Hospital.

"When carbon monoxide is inhaled, it replaces the oxygen in the blood. When oxygen decreases in the tissues, it deteriorates the function of the organs," said Al Amri.

Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are common flu, headache, drowsiness and nausea.

In advanced cases, it leads to instability, lack of concentration, unconsciousness and in delayed cases, brain damage and eventually death.

If carbon monoxide poisoning is discovered early and treatment is prompt, the patient could lead a normal life.