Dubai: The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has decided to impose fines on paid parking violators at Dubai’s Al Khail Gate community from July 1, Gulf News has learnt.
After giving one day’s exemption during Eid holidays for the activation of paid parking, the authority activated the parking meters at the residential community off Al Khail Road in Al Quoz on Monday.
Some tenants, who went to apply for their parking permits, said they were told by the RTA staff that the authority would issue fines only from July since there is a huge rush of residents applying for permits at the two designated customer happiness centres of RTA, as first reported by Gulf News.
In a statement to Gulf News on Tuesday, RTA confirmed that the authority practices this leniency period of two weeks whenever a new parking zone is introduced and will help residents or visitors in the area become aware of the implementation of the parking regulations applicable.
Gulf News can reveal that failure to purchase and display a valid ticket or the parking card at visitors’ parking zone with the code 365L will attract a Dh150 fine.
However, illegal parking in parking slots reserved for residents with parking permits (zone code S 365) will receive a fine of Dh200.
Overstaying expired time on ticket and exceeding maximum time or day will get a Dh100 fine each.
Obstructing parking bays and movement of vehicles, and exposing vehicles and or motorists to danger will attract a Dh200 fine each.
All illegal parking cases will also be slapped with a Dh200 fine.
The same fines are applicable in the parking bays in front of the Al Khail Gate Community Centre, where RTA has introduced a separate parking zone code  and a digital parking ticket machine that hands out an e-ticket receipt.
For parking around the community centre, residents and visitors must pay at this machine.
“The first two hours of parking near the community centre is free and from the third hour onwards, the fare is Dh12,” RTA said. After that there is an increase of Dh4 per hour till it reaches Dh28 for five hours.
Parking beyond that will be charged Dh32 which is equivalent to the maximum parking fee for 24 hours in the community.
Why parking system was implemented
In response to the needs of the developer, the RTA said it has developed the vehicle parking regulation mechanism to achieve the following benefits:
• Increase vehicle turnover in parking area, which is witnessing high occupancy rates thus eliminating the phenomenon of negligent parking by vehicles
• Solution against the issue of lack of parking spaces especially at night after the return of the residents
• Encourage people to use public transport available in the area
• Prevent the exploitation of parking spaces for long durations by non-residents in the area.
• As per the agreement, the authority said tenants of two bedroom apartments can avail only a single permit while those in three bedroom apartments can get two parking permits.
• "Any additional permit to be issued is subject to the approval and NOC (No Objection Certificate) from Dubai Properties Asset Management based on their evaluation criteria,” it added.
• Gulf News had earlier reported that many families with two cars, who had earlier planned to leave out of the community, have decided to stay back after they received NOC for a second car permit.
• This allowed tenants to cut down the annual expenses for parking two cars from Dh14,180 to Dh5,000.