Classifieds powered by Gulf News

Infant saved after swallowing plastic ball

Child survived because small holes in the ball allowed some air to pass through

Image Credit: Sqar hospital
The plastic ball toy
Gulf News

Ras Al Khaimah: Emirati doctors saved the life of a nine-month-old infant after he swallowed a plastic ball toy that was stuck in his oesophagus.

Dr Abdullah Al Nuaimi, director of Ras Al Khaimah Medical Zone, said the Emirati family of the baby took him to Shaam Hospital after he swallowed the ball. The parents noticed their son choking and not being able to breathe.

The baby was transported from Shaam to Saqr Hospital. The baby suffered severe fatigue and other symptoms. An X-ray image prompted the doctors to perform an urgent operation to remove the object.

Dr Mohammad Rashid Bin Arshid, director of Saqr Hospital, described the size of the plastic ball as “very dangerous” to the life of the baby considering his age. “The child was able to survive that long only because of small holes in the ball which allowed some air to pass through,” he said.

The operation to remove the plastic ball took 20 minutes. The baby is in a good condition and has been placed under observation, he said.

Loading...