Dubai: Police have issued a warning against car thefts following a spate of robberies in Dubai’s industrial areas.
On its official Twitter account, Dubai Police warned residents about becoming an easy target for thieves, and urged drivers to “never leave the engine on while the vehicle is unattended”.
Dear Driver ...
Do not be an easy target for car thieves. Never leave the engine running while your vehicle is unattended.#DubaiPolice#YourSecurityOurHappiness#SmartSecureTogether— Dubai Policeشرطة دبي (@DubaiPoliceHQ) September 24, 2018
Earlier this week, Dubai Police arrested four men for stealing car batteries from medium-sized vehicles that were parked in the industrial areas of Jebel Ali and Al Qusais.
Brigadier Mohammad Rashid Bin Sari Al Muhairi, Deputy Director of Criminal Investigation Department (CID) at Dubai Police, said that police received four reports of stolen car batteries from various locations in Dubai.
“The thefts were carried out in different areas at different times of the day,” Brig Al Muhairi told the Arabic daily Al Bayan.
The four Asian men were shortly arrested after Dubai Police carried out a sting operation.
All suspects confessed to stealing the batteries from parked vehicles, and admitted to selling the stolen goods for half the value at an auto workshop.
How to prevent car thefts and break-ins
- Never leave the vehicle while the engine is on, even for a few minutes
- Do not leave the car doors unlocked
- Do not leave the vehicle parked in dark, unlit areas over night
- Avoid parking in remote places or sandy areas for long periods
- Never leave valuables exposed in the car
- Always park your car in well-lit and safe places that are monitored by CCTV cameras
- Invest in a car alarm