Classifieds powered by Gulf News

Technician jailed for beating co-worker to death

Defendant was drinking liquor with the victim and beat him with a stick when the latter cursed his family

Gulf News

Dubai: A technician has been jailed for three years for beating his co-worker to death with a wooden stick after the latter abused his family verbally.

The 42-year-old Indian technician was eating dinner and drinking alcohol with his countryman co-worker in April.

The two men got into a heated argument in a villa under construction where they had been drinking before the co-worker cursed the technician and his wife and family.

The 42-year-old then grabbed a stick and repeatedly assaulted the co-worker, who fell unconscious and couldn’t do anything since he was too drunk.

The technician returned to his workers’ accommodation.

The accommodation’s security guard called the police once the victim’s body was found lying in a pool of blood.

The technician confessed to the interrogating policemen that he assaulted the victim following a heated argument.

The Dubai Court of First Instance convicted the defendant of beating the victim to death after he had admitted that he assaulted the victim but did not intended to kill him.

The accused argued in court that he used the stick in the assault but did not have any intention to kill the victim.

According to the primary ruling, the defendant will be deported following the completion of his jail term.

A police lieutenant said that they were alerted that a man’s body had been found in Al Quoz on a Friday.

“We went to the location instantly and brought in a number of witnesses who were present at the villa at the time of the assault. During interrogation, the defendant admitted that he dined and drank alcohol with the co-worker at 8pm the previous night, during which they had a heated argument. Then the technician assaulted the deceased with a stick because the latter had cursed him and his wife, according to the defendant’s statement,” the lieutenant said.

Dubai Police’s forensic examiner confirmed that the victim died of profuse bleeding that affected the blood circulation and was heavily drunk to defend himself.

The primary ruling remains subject to appeal within 12 days.