Minya, Egypt: Coptic Christians in the Egyptian city of Minya prepared to bury their dead on Saturday, a day after militants ambushed three buses carrying Christian pilgrims on their way to a remote desert monastery, killing seven and wounding 19.
During a funeral service, a priest and members of the congregation prayed and chanted over a row of white coffins. All but one of those killed were members of the same family, according to a list of the victims’ names released by the church, which said a boy and a girl, ages 15 and 12 respectively, were among the dead.
The local Daedh affiliate, which spearheads militants fighting security forces in the Sinai Peninsula, claimed responsibility for the attack south of Cairo in a statement. It said the attack was revenge for the imprisonment by Egyptian authorities of “our chaste sisters” without elaborating.
The Daesh affiliate claimed that 13 Christians were killed and another 18 wounded, but it was not immediately possible to independently verify the claim or reconcile the discrepancy in the number of dead and wounded given by the group and the church.
The attack was likely to cast a dark shadow on one of President Abdul Fattah Al Sissi’s showpieces — the World Youth Forum — which opens Saturday in the Red Sea resort of Sharm Al Shaikh and hopes to draw thousands of local and foreign youth to discuss upcoming projects, with Egypt’s 63-year-old leader taking centre stage.
Daesh has repeatedly vowed to go after Egypt’s Christians as punishment for their support of Al Sissi. As defence minister, Al Sissi led the military’s 2013 ouster of an Islamist president, whose one-year rule proved divisive. It has claimed responsibility for a string of deadly attacks on Christians dating back to December 2016.
Al Sissi, who has made the economy and security his top priorities since taking office in 2014, wrote on his Twitter account that Friday’s attack was designed to harm the “nation’s solid fabric” and pledged to continue fighting terrorism. He later offered his condolences when he spoke by telephone with Pope Tawadros II, spiritual leader of Egypt’s Orthodox Christians and a close Al Sissi ally.
In a sombre message of his own, Tawadros said in a video clip released by the church that the latest attack would only make the Christians stronger.
“I think that this is a terrorist act which is targeting Egypt through playing the card of the Copts,” said Begemy Nassem Nasr, priest of the church of St. Mary in Minya. “We know that ... President Abdul Fattah Al Sissi is hosting the youth forum and they meant to embarrass him.”
Friday’s attack is the second to target pilgrims heading to the St. Samuel the Confessor monastery in as many years, indicating that security measures in place since then are either inadequate or have become lax. The previous attack in May 2017 left nearly 30 people dead. It is also the latest by Daesh to target Christians in churches in Cairo, the Mediterranean city of Alexandria and Tanta in the Nile Delta north of the capital.
Those attacks left at least 100 people dead and led to tighter security around Christian places of worship and Church-linked facilities. They have also underlined the vulnerability of minority Christians in a country where many Muslims have since the 1970s grown religiously conservative.
The Interior Ministry, which oversees the police, said Friday’s attackers used secondary dirt roads to reach the buses carrying the pilgrims, who were near the monastery at the time of the attack. Only pilgrims have been allowed on the main road leading to the monastery since last year’s attack.
The Interior Ministry maintained that only one bus was attacked, but the latest statement by the church said three buses were targeted and put the death toll at 7 and the wounded at 19, including two in critical condition.
The Interior Ministry said police were pursuing the attackers, who fled the scene.
Egypt’s Christians, who account for some 10 per cent of the country’s 100 million people, complain of discrimination in the Muslim majority country. Christian activists say the church’s alliance with Al Sissi has offered the ancient community a measure of protection but failed to end frequent acts of discrimination that boil over into violence against Christians, especially in rural Egypt.
In Minya, the scene of Friday’s attack, Christians constitute the highest percentage of the population — about 35 per cent — of any Egyptian province. It’s also in Minya where most acts of violence, like attacks on churches and Christian homes and businesses, take place.
OIC condemns terrorist attack in Egypt
Jeddah: The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), has strongly condemned the terrorist act that targeted a bus carrying Egyptian citizens in the Minya Government.
“Such a cowardly terrorist act would only bind the Egyptian people together and boost their unity toward combating terrorism, which contradicts the core teachings of Islam and all other religions and targets innocent civilians,” OIC Secretary-General Dr Yousuf Al Othaimeen said in a press statement.
He also reiterated the OIC’s firm and principled stand against all forms of terrorism.