Karachi: The Karachi administration will soon launch a crackdown on ‘illegal’ buildings which pose a risk to thousands of residents.
Some 6,000 ‘illegal’ buildings are being constructed in Karachi, including those in its shanty settlements, the provincial building control agency told the Sindh government.
Sindh Chief Secretary (CS), Dr Muhammad Sohail Rajput, received a briefing from officials on unauthorised constructions, ‘dangerous’ buildings, illegal occupation of the state land and pilferage of potable water in the city.
The Sindh Building Control Agency (SBCA) told the CS that there were 545 buildings which pose risk to the residents.
The CS ordered the officials that the most dangerous buildings should be evacuated before the forthcoming monsoon season.
He said the government would provide alternative accommodation to the occupants of such buildings.
A crackdown will be launched from May 31 against encroachments, illegal occupation of the state land, illegal buildings and water theft in the city. Karachi’s Commissioner will supervise the operation.
He said the Sindh Rangers and Police would assist the district administration in conducting the operation.
In the first phase of the operation, 5,000 acres of land of the Malir Development Authority in the suburbs of Karachi will be freed from illegal occupation.
The CS said that deputy commissioners posted in the districts of Karachi had been authorised to lodge criminal cases against the people involved in land grabbing.
He asked the them to demolish the illegal buildings.
He directed the SBCA that every authorised building being constructed in Karachi should carry a quick-response code so that the concerned public could use their smart phones to get necessary information about new constructions in their vicinity.
Sindh Local Government Minister, Syed Nasir Hussain Shah, who also attended the meeting, said that stern punishment should be handed down to the mafia involved in the menace of illegal buildings.