New Delhi: Former Indian finance minister P. Chidambaram, who was arrested by the CBI late on Wednesday, has faced 20 key questions posed by the agency about his involvement in the money laundering and corruption related to the INX Media case.
1. What is the source of income of your properties abroad?
2. Where did the money come from for purchase of properties in UK, Spain and Malaysia?
3. Where did money come from for purchase of Barcelona Tennis Club?
4. Why did Karti receive money from British Virgin Island?
5. Where did you or Karti invest the money got as bribe for INX deal?
6. We have evidence of your foreign-based shell companies. What will you say on it?
7. How many shell companies belong to you and Karti?
8. What was the business or in which sectors these shell companies were dealing?
9. The Financial Intelligence Unit has raised queries over FDI investment of over Rs3.05 billion made by three Mauritius-based companies in INX Media Pvt Ltd, then owned by Peter Mukherjea and his former wife Indrani Mukerjea. What would you speak on it?
10. Did your son influence various departments of FIPB?
11. How did you approve in your capacity as finance minister allowing your son Karti flouting all foreign investment rule in INX media deal?
12. Why did you meet Indrani Mukerjea at north block?
13. Did you ask Indrani to keep in touch with Karti?
14. Had you met with Peter Mukerjea too?
15. Who are other officers in north block involved in giving clearance to INX Media at your behest?
16. Why didn’t you turn up despite being served notice?
17. Where had you been since Delhi High Court turned down anticipatory bail plea till yesterday evening and whom did you meet during this time and where?
18. Your mobile phone was switched off during this period. Which no did you use?
19. Why did you leave your driver and clerk on the way back from Supreme Court yesterday (Tuesday) if your intention was not to evade arrest?
20. Why didn’t you appear even after CBI notice?
After a dramatic sequence of events that unfolded on Wednesday after 8pm, which culminated into Chidambaram’s, he spent an almost sleepless night at the agency headquarters as the questioning began just after midnight.
Officials close to the investigation, requesting anonymity, said that Chidambaram’s formal questioning started just after 12am on Thursday with CBI Director Rishi Kumar Shukla himself present in the headquarters along with all top agency officials.
Most of Chidambaram’s answers have been “ambiguous”, many not “clear” and some “unanswerable”.