Knife 190101
For illustrative purpoes only Image Credit: Pixabay

Bengaluru: A 34-year-old woman, who escaped from the tech hub after allegedly killing her mother and stabbing her brother on February 2, was arrested at Port Blair in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, police said on Thursday.

"The accused (Amrutha) and her male friend (Shridhar Rao) were arrested at Port Blair on Wednesday after they were traced by our investigating team, which learnt that the duo flew to Andaman and Nicobar islands after the crime was committed," Whitefield Deputy Commissioner of Police M. N. Anuchet told IANS here.

According to the FIR (first information report) the police filed on the basis of the information given by Amrutha's brother Harish, the accused stabbed her mother Nirmala (54) to death in the wee hours of Sunday while she was asleep in her bedroom and stabbed the brother too before fleeing from the house with Shridhar on a two-wheeler.Accused stabbed her mother to death while she was asleep

"Footage from cctv cameras from her home to the airport revealed that Amrutha and Shridhar fled on the same day from the city to Port Blair. On confirmation about their presence in the island capital from our counterparts on Tuesday, we rushed our team to bring them back to the city on transit remand and judicial custody," the official said.

A special team of six policemen arrested Amrutha and Shridhar around 11 a.m. on Wednesday in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Anuchet said.

The accused are in police custody after being brought to the city and will be produced in the court on Friday.

Amrutha and Shridhar have been arrested under IPC Sections 302 and 307 for murder and attempt to murder.

Police are yet to question the accused. "We are questioning them and I think by tomorrow we can give you more information. Some more questioning is required," said Anuchet.

After murdering her mother and before stabbing her brother, Amrutha told Harish that she has taken a loan of Rs 15 lakh from some persons who will be coming on Sunday seeking repayment.

She told Harish that the lenders may create a ruckus and bring the family into disrepute which prompted her to murder her mother and stab the brother.

At 4 a.m. on Sunday, Harish was woken up as Amrutha was scouring the cupboard in his room for something, alerting him. He managed to defend himself when she attacked him though he suffered a few stab wounds.

Amrutha also told her family that she has got a job in Hyderabad which she wants to visit before moving to work there.

Amrutha's father passed away a few years ago.