Dubai: If you are in possession of a number plate but are in between cars, there is an option to reserve that number plate with the traffic department in your emirate of residence in four easy steps.
It is a service under which a number plate is reserved for unregistered vehicles at the request of the owner for a period of six months or a year.
You only need your original Emirates ID to apply for the service.
How to apply for the service
• Visit any of the traffic department service centres in your emirate.
• Apply on the Ministry of Interior (MOI) website – moi.gov.ae
• Apply through the MOI app – MOI UAE
If you are applying online, follow these steps:
1. Register with the online service.
2. Select the service – ‘Reserve vehicle plate number’
3. Upload the Emirates ID.
4. Make the payment online.
The cost of the service depends on the duration for which you wish to reserve the number plate:
Six months - Dh300
One year - Dh500
The service is available in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman, Ras Al Khaimah, Fujairah and Umm Al Quwain.