Vandana Mahajan Futures Abroad-FOR-WEB
Vandana Mahajan, Founder, Futures Abroad

Blessed with natural beauty and rich cultural heritage, New Zealand is emerging as one of the favourite study destinations for international students. The country offers a world-class education system, great infrastructure, low unemployment rate, low crime rate and a strong economy. These factors attract several international students to not only study in New Zealand but also see it as a potential residence for the future. Students who study in New Zealand generally go for post-study work visa to pursue a professional career in New Zealand.

This may help candidates to become eligible for permanent residency there. The PR is granted on the basis of a points system in which the intending applicants are awarded points on the basis of their educational qualifications, employability, work experience, age (must be less than 55 years) and family ties. Also, most of the students go for Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa when applying for a PR.

How an international student having graduated from New Zealand can apply for permanent residency through Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa.

• The applicants need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) by providing the necessary details. While completing the EOI, the candidates are scored on the basis of the information submitted by them. A minimum of 100 points is needed to be invited for a visa application. However, the New Zealand Immigration is currently selecting those EOIs that have a score of at least 160 points.

• The candidates can expect to receive a notification from New Zealand Immigration within 2 weeks, i.e., after the verification of the information entered into the EOI.

• Applicants are sent an ‘Application for Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category’ form along with the invitation to apply for residence. They need to fill the form and provide all the necessary documents and other essentials materials and then, submit the visa application.

• The decision on visa application for permanent residence takes at least 6 months to process.

Top Universities to Study in New Zealand:

1. University of Auckland

2. University of Otago

3. University of Canterbury

4. Victoria University of Wellington

5. University of Waikato

6. Massey University

7. Lincoln University

8. Auckland University of Technology


The Netherlands as a study abroad destination offers unique opportunities to international students. The most pronounced one is the post study work permissions – called the Search/ Orientation Year or ‘zoekjaar’ in Dutch. Simply put, students completing their bachelors’ or/and masters’ from an accredited Dutch University are eligible to apply for a Residence Permit for ‘Orientation Year’ which is valid for one year.

Not only that, as per new regulations in effect from March 1, 2016 - students have three years after completion of their degree program to apply for this permit. What it suggests is that if you have completed your bachelors/ masters or research work in 2016 then you have till 2019 to apply for the permit to arrive and work in Netherlands and find a relevant job. Even graduates of Top 200 Ranked Universities of the World* can also apply for this permit to find meaningful employment in the Netherlands.

*Top 200 as per Times Higher Education World University Rankings | QS World University Rankings | Academic Ranking of World Universities

Significance of Post Study Work Permit in the Netherlands

The Government of the Netherlands feels it is crucial to give highly educated migrants sufficient time to find a job or set up their own company in the Netherlands after they are done with their Graduation.

Students who have completed their studies in the Netherlands shall be given a chance to apply for a residence permit for an orientation year within 3 years of graduating. This will allow graduates to return home after graduation and come back to the Netherlands. However, students can also apply for an orientation year directly. With the help of the orientation year residence permit, graduates and researchers are free to work in the Netherlands without any restrictions.

How to Get PR in the Netherlands after Study?

After a five-year stay in The Netherlands, one will be eligible to get a residence permit. In order to get a PR in the Netherlands after study, one needs to meet the following conditions:

• You have a valid Dutch residence permit for 5 years or more directly before the application

• Have always met, and are still fulfilling the conditions of your residence permit

• An uninterrupted 5-year stay in The Netherlands before the submission of the application

• An independent sustainable and sufficient income

• A civic integration Diploma