‘No matter how narcissistic you become, you will never erase Gaza or its people’
Dubai: US President Donald Trump has ignited a firestorm across the Arab world with a video depicting Gaza as a lavish resort, complete with golden statues of himself, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu lounging by a pool, and dollar bills raining from the sky.
The video, which features Elon Musk eating hummus on a beach and Trump dancing in a nightclub, has been widely condemned as insensitive and provocative.
Trump’s portrayal of a transformed “Trump Gaza” comes as he doubles down on his controversial proposal for the US to take control of Gaza post-war, following Israel’s devastating military campaign against Hamas. His vision includes the forced relocation of Palestinians to Egypt and Jordan, an idea that has already been met with fierce opposition from Middle Eastern leaders.
The video, which racked up more than 15 million views on Instagram and was shared thousands of times on Trump’s Truth Social network by Wednesday morning, prompted some commenters to question whether the president’s accounts had been hacked.
The 33-second clip remained on Trump’s accounts without denial or retraction hours after the initial posting on Tuesday night.
The video “Gaza 2025 What’s Next?” opens with people on a rubble-strewn street emerging from a tunnel onto a beach with palm trees and yachts.
In the social media clip, the soundtrack includes lyrics such as “Donald’s coming to set you free, bringing the light for all to see”, and “Feast and dance, the deal is done, Trump Gaza number one”.
Seemingly AI-generated renditions of Trump and Netanyahu in swimsuits by a pool, while other shots show what appears to be Elon Musk dancing under a shower of cash on the beach.
Social media exploded with condemnation, with many calling Trump’s proposal absurd and offensive.
Omar Hussein, a Jordanian student, slammed Trump’s plan, saying: “Do you think a people who have endured death and destruction for over a year can be displaced so easily? Gaza will be your graveyard.”
Mohamed Abdo, a digital creator with 3,600+ followers, wrote: “No matter how narcissistic you become, you will never erase Gaza or its people.”
Farhan Shaaban Abou Khaled, a Saudi entrepreneur with 4,100+ followers, added: “Palestinians will never leave their land, no matter how much destruction they face.”
Trump’s remarks have been met with sharp rebukes from political leaders and Palestinian officials:
Hamas official Sami Abu Zuhri called the plan “ridiculous and absurd,” warning it would fuel “chaos and tension” in the region.
PLO Secretary-General Hussein Al Sheikh reaffirmed: “The two-state solution is the only path to security, stability, and peace.”
Saudi Arabia had reiterated its stance that diplomatic ties with Israel would not be established until an independent Palestinian state is recognized with East Jerusalem as its capital.
Riyad Mansour, Palestine’s UN representative, stated that displaced Palestinians should be allowed to return to their original homes in Israel, rejecting any forced expulsion.
The video’s surreal imagery — a golden Trump statue, Netanyahu basking in a resort-like Gaza, and a soundtrack hailing Trump as a saviour — has further fuelled criticism that the former president is trivializing Palestinian suffering for political gain.
Critics argue that his vision of “Trump Gaza” is not only detached from reality but also a dangerous provocation that could escalate tensions in an already volatile region.
“This video of Trump is full of fallacies and shows a lack of cultural awareness... Gaza won’t become a tourist spot like Italy or Spain,” said Nasser Abu Hadaid, a 60-year-old resident of Khan Yunis in southern Gaza.
“What I know about Trump is that he is a strange but bold president who does what he says he will do. What matters to him is money and investments - there is no humanity,” said Manal Abu Seif, a 23-year-old lawyer in Gaza City.
“Gaza needs freedom, open border crossings and jobs for young people, and is not a playground for tourism and investment,” she added.
UN estimates have put the cost of reconstruction at more than $53 billion.
A fragile ceasefire, in effect since January 19, has allowed an increase in humanitarian aid into Gaza, though Hamas has accused Israel of blocking the entry of some essential supplies.
As global outrage mounts, Trump’s controversial proposal raises a pressing question: Is this merely a publicity stunt, or a serious attempt to reshape the future of Gaza under US influence?
Sign up for the Daily Briefing
Get the latest news and updates straight to your inbox