Rabat: A Moroccan train driver went on trial Tuesday for involuntary homicide over a crash earlier this month that left seven people dead and 125 injured.
The driver — who was also hurt in the accident — faces five years in prison for the derailment of the passenger train near the capital Rabat on October 16.
Prosecutors have said the “excessive” speed of the train, which was travelling at 158 kilometres per hour at the moment of the accident instead of the 60 kilometres per hour limit, caused it to go off the rails.
The judge quickly adjourned the trial until November 13, relatives and union representatives said.
The high casualty toll, spectacular images of the derailment and an initial silence from national rail company ONCF in the first few hours after the accident caused anger in Morocco.
Seven of the those hurt in the crash had serious injuries and a Frenchman was among those who died.