Cairo: Bahraini authorities have said that holders of valid visas are no longer required to get prior permission to enter the kingdom, local media reported Wednesday.
The move has taken effect from Wednesday, Al Watan newspaper said, citing Bahrain’s Nationality, Passports and Residency Affairs Department.
“This decision applies only to holders of valid visas issued by the Nationality, Passports and Residency Affairs Department. It does not apply to instant visas issued upon arrival at the country's travel outlets and which are still suspended until further notice,” the agency said.
Scrapping the prior permission granted letter applies to foreign residents and visitors of Bahrain, Akhbar Al Khaleej newspaper explained.
Foreigners account for more than half of Bahrain’s overall population of 1.7 million.
Earlier this week, Bahrain announced extending the validity of visit visas for three more months due to the impact of an outbreak of the new coronavirus.
All valid and expired visit visas are automatically extended starting from July 21 until October 21.
Visitors wishing to extend their visits in Bahrain for a longer period beyond October 21 are required to apply for renewing their visas via a designated electronic portal.