Manama: Bahrain's health ministry has sacked 30 doctors and nurses who were allegedly involved in incidents targeting the Salmaniya Medical Complex, the country's largest health facility, in February and March.
The ministry said that the decision was taken following an investigation into the incidents. The ministry added that it expects to dismiss more staff following the results of another probe.
Meanwhile, the social development ministry also suspended the board of Bahrain Medical Society and appointed interim caretakers. The suspension was attributed to anti-government activities by the society during the unrest.
In Brussels, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), the international medical humanitarian organisation, deplored how health facilities in Bahrain had been drawn into the unrest due to clashes between the government and protesters launched on February 14.
The ministry also dissolved the Bahrain Teachers Society hours after the arrest of its president Mahdi Abu Deeb who is accused of inciting hatred towards the political regime and calling for civil disobedience.
Most public schools remained shut in March when protests peaked, with students regularly staging demonstrations in front of the education ministry.
The University of Bahrain said that a college dean, seven teachers and 25 administrators have been sacked for their alleged role in acts of vandalism at the Sakhir campus. The university also dropped 62 students and suspended eight more for one academic year while cancelling state scholarships for five PhD students.
The decisions were made upon recommendations from three investigation committees, the university said.
Crux of chaos
According to statements from sports clubs, 12 players and three officials have been expelled by their teams for allegedly taking part in the protests at the Pearl Roundabout, the epicentre of the demonstrations.
The list of those dismissed includes international players Ala and Mohammad Hubail, two brothers who were prominent members of the Bahraini team during its golden era in the 2000s.
The General Federation of Bahrain Trade Unions (GFBTU), on Wednesday, said that 373 Bahrainis have registered their names and details after they were sacked for allegedly not reporting to work during the unrest and even after the declaration of the state of national safety.