Manama: Bahrain will take part in Operation Restore Hope, the new phase with the main focus on the political process in Yemen, after it participated in the military operations.
Bahrain Defence Force (BDF) Commander-in-Chief Field Marshal Shaikh Khalifa Bin Ahmad Al Khalifa at a brief press conference on the sidelines of the “Hamad 1” joint drill between the BDF and the Egyptian Armed Forces said Bahrain was fully satisfied with its participation in the alliance operations alongside Arab countries.
Expressing hope reconciliation and peace would usher in a new era in Yemen, Shaikh Khalifa on Wednesday said the next phase would be for construction, security and stability.
Saudi Arabia-led coalition forces on Tuesday said they were ending their campaign of air strikes against Al Houthi militiamen who toppled the legitimate authority in Yemen, in favour of a political solution to bring peace.
Bahrain last month committed fighter jets from the Royal Bahrain Air Force to Operation Storm of Resolve following orders from King Hamad, the Supreme Commander.
The royal orders were issued in response to a call from the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud to meet the request of the legitimate authority in Yemen.
The move was within the framework of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Joint Defence Pact and the fully-fledged support to measures the GCC countries deem decisive against threats to regional stability.
Shaikh Khalifa said the “Hamad 1” joint exercise was a quality leap forward for the air and naval forces of both countries and that the two capitals were keen on steady cooperation in military training through a long line-up of programmes.
Shaikh Khalifa said the drill had been planned in advance and was not related to the military operations in Yemen.
Egypt had played for many years a major role in preserving Arab national security and is still assuming that responsibility, he said.