A 20-year-old housemaid was allegedly tortured and kept into captivity for two days by her employers in the city of Lahore, in Pakistan, over accusation of stealing a mobile phone, local media outlets reported on July 25.
Relatives of the maid alleged that the house owners tortured her and filmed the abuse by calling it an ‘interrogation’.
- Pakistani stars open discussions on mental health after the death of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh
- Photos: Pakistan International Airlines plane from Lahore crashes in Karachi
- In pictures: Pakistan battles increase in COVID-19 infections
- COVID-19: Hundreds of abandoned animals die at Pakistan pet markets
They also sent the video to the relatives of the housemaid besides keeping the 20-year-old woman in captivity inside their home for two days.
Family members of the victim, identified as Shabana, said that the accused had poured boiling water over her feet and also beaten her, resulting in serious injuries.
- Pakistani stars Humayun Saeed, Saba Qamar get quarantine game on
- Look: Pakistan's #AuratMarch2020 takes place in Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad
- Pakistani Actress Mariyam Nafees opens out about harassment
- Photos: This is how Pakistanis taking measures to prevent coronavirus spread after sudden surge in cases
Later, they handed over the housemaid to Kot Lakhpat police on Saturday evening. The relatives also complained about keeping Shabana at the police station instead of taking her to a women’s facility.
So far, there have been no news reports about a case being registered against the maid’s employers.
The victim’s family members have demanded the arrest of the accused as well as a transparent investigation into the incident. The family also alleged that the matter is not being investigated by the police because the employers are “influential”.