Dubai: Dirty scissors and unsterilized combs are just a few of the offences found in some hair salons across Dubai.
But now, in a bid to curb such unhygienic practices, Dubai Municipality has shut down 107 salons and issued 6,408 fines to barbers and hairdressers looking to cut corners.
Out of the 107 salons, 65 were barbershops and 42 were hairdressers.
According to the latest statistics of Dubai Municipality, 10,815 inspections were carried out throughout 2017 to monitor the 3,592 salons across the emirate, which include 1,859 men’s salons and 1,634 hairdressers.
The municipality cited the salons’ closures “as a result of neglecting hygiene, non-sterilization of tools, and the lack of occupational health cards for employees”.
During the year-long campaign, municipal inspectors targeted salons in Deira and Bur Dubai, in addition to those found in shopping malls and co-ops.
Customers who witness unhygienic practices in Dubai’s salons are urged to contact the municipality’s hotline immediately at 800 900 or through the website www.dm.gov.ae.
Checklist for salons
- Was the salon generally neat and clean?
- Did the technician/therapist wash or sanitise hands before catering to a customer?
- Were hand sanitisers available in the bathrooms or toilets?
- Were towels in the bathrooms and treatment rooms clean and neatly displayed?
- Were products in the treatment rooms clean and packaging in good condition?
- If gowns or slippers were provided, were they clean and in good condition?
Source: Mystery Shopper Checklist