Deadly pesticide sticks of aluminium phosphide. A mother and her two children landed in hospital after the mother used a pesticide to remove lice from her daughter's hair. Picture for illustrative purposes only. Image Credit: Supplied

Sharjah: A mother and her two children landed in hospital after the mother used a pesticide to remove lice from her daughter's hair.

The five-year-old girl Noor Al Huda was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit at Al Qasimi hospital on Wednesday night, a hospital official said. She is reported to be in a coma.

The mother and her son, who had inhaled pesticide fumes, are now stable.

Outside the ICU, Noor's father stood praying for his daughter. "My daughter hasn't moved since yesterday," he said.

He said he was not aware that his wife, who worked as a chemistry teacher at a school in Sharjah, had brought pesticide with her from Jordan. "My wife told me that her sisters always used this kind of pesticide to eliminate lice from the heads of their kids," he said.