I am a graduate in commerce from an Indian university. I would like to work in the UAE in a bank, preferably in the corporate credit department. I want to know what I should study further to improve my chances of landing a good job in the country. Also, what are the benefits of studying to become a Chartered Accountant, or undertaking a Master of Business Administration (MBA)?
Reena via email

Possessing a post-graduate degree in this economic climate will certainly lead to more opportunities. Apart from increasing your knowledge base, a post-graduate degree will also hold you in good stead when it comes to promotions.

To become a Chartered Accountant, you will need to train with a firm of Chartered Accountants in India and this normally takes three to four years to complete. In addition to the training, you will need to write examinations, which will cover fields including taxation, corporate finance and accountancy. The net result of studying chartered accountancy is that you will be a specialist in the field of finance and allied areas.

The curriculum of an MBA programme is more diverse and tends to focus on various aspects of business including marketing, communication, strategy, as well as the concepts of leadership and teamwork. Even while pursuing an MBA you could specialise in a certain discipline such as finance, marketing, or international relations. An MBA programme is usually for two years, although some universities offer a one-year programme as well.

My son is currently pursuing his second year of an engineering degree in Dubai. He has recently received the US immigrant visa (green card) and intends to move to the United States once he completes his degree here. Could you advise us on the procedure for applying to study for a masters degree in US universities from the UAE, on a US immigrant visa?
Maggie, Dubai

Your son will need to apply as a domestic citizen and will be eligible to apply for federal aid using the Free Application for Student Financial Aid. He will need to meet all application requirements and if English is not his native language he will have to submit results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS), unless he has taken his undergraduate degree at a university where courses and assignments, including examinations, were given in English. A letter verifying this would need to be obtained from the university with the appropriate signatures and stamps on an official letterhead.

Your son would not be issued an I-20, nor would he need a visa to enter the United States.