London: Lee Westwood became the latest player to show his intention to play the first event of the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series after the Englishman said on Wednesday he has requested the PGA Tour and DP World Tour for a release.
Westwood’s decision comes shortly after British Masters champion Richard Bland said he has requested a release from the DP World Tour, while Phil Mickelson asked the PGA Tour for a similar release last month.
The first LIV Golf Invitational event will be held from June 9-11 at the Centurion Golf Club outside of London.
“I’ve put a release in with the PGA Tour and the DP World Tour, as many people have,” Westwood told Sky Sports. “That’s kind of the stage we’re at and anything after that is just ifs and buts and speculation.
“It’s an opportunity to play in a big tournament, against some of the best players in the world, in England.
“I love playing in England in front of home fans, so any time there’s an opportunity like that I feel like I should take it.” The US-based PGA Tour has told its members that they would be banned if they joined the breakaway Saudi-backed league.
Earlier, Bland told reporters he had asked the DP World Tour for a release but added that he is focused on retaining his title at the British Masters, which got underway at The Belfry from Thursday.
“For now, I want to concentrate on this tournament and I want to respect Betfred and the British Masters. So yes I have, but right now, the DP World is my 100% focus this week.
“I want to make a good defence of my title and we’ll leave it there if that’s okay with you.”