Bayern Munich finally secured the signature of Leroy Sane, their long-sought-after target from English side Manchester City.
The Bundesliga champions announced on Friday that the 24-year-old former Schalke player has signed a five-year deal through to June 2025 and will start preparing for the upcoming season next week.
Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said: “He is an outstanding player who has proven his qualities over the past few years, especially in the national team. Our goal is to gather the best German players at FC Bayern and the signing of Leroy emphasises this goal.”
City were already resigned to losing the pacey forward, who had one year left on his contract with the Premier League side. Coach Pep Guardiola said Sane had rejected “two or three” offers to extend his contract.
Bayern are reportedly paying 50 million euros for the player, less than half what the club expected to pay last year before he sustained a serious knee ligament injury in the Community Shield against Liverpool on August 4. The injury put a hold on the move and Sane only returned for City as a late substitute against Burnley on June 22. It was his only league appearance since the injury.
Sane is Bayern’s third reinforcement for the new season after the free transfers of goalkeeper Alexander Nubel from league rivals Schalke and 18-year-old defender Tanguy Nianzou Kouassi from Paris St-Germain.