2 strands saffron
2 tsp milk
1 medium piece ginger
5 garlic cloves
5 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp ground turmeric
3 tbsp gram flour
2 green chillies, finely chopped
3-4tbsp Greek yoghurt
50ml double cream
4 tsp ground green cardamom
400gm paneer, cubed
3 tsp ground white pepper
4 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp salt
4 tsp dry mango powder
2 tsp black salt
2 tbsp lemon juice, to serve
Salad, to serve
1. Soak the saffron in the milk and set aside.
2. Peel the ginger and garlic and blend into a fine paste.
3. Heat the oil in a pan, add the turmeric and gram flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
4. Combine the ginger garlic and gram flour pastes with the yoghurt, double cream, cardamom, milk and saffron.
5. Season well and use the mixture to coat the paneer.
6. Place the paneer on a greased baking tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 200°C then bake the paneer for 10 minutes.
8. Serve hot sprinkled with dry mango powder, black salt, lemon juice and salad.
Tip: If you really like your paneer crisp, shallow-fry it in a non-stick pan instead of baking.
Recipe courtesy: Vivek Kashiwale, Mint Leaf of London, DIFC
Image courtesy: Mint Leaf of London, DIFC