1/2 cup rice, soaked
1/4 cup Masoor dal or red lentils soaked
1/4 cup Moong dal with skin, soaked
2 to 3 tsp mustard oil
1 inch size cinnamon stick
2 to 3 green cardamoms
5 to 6 cloves
1 to 2 bay leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste (equal measures)
Salt to taste
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp fennel powder
1 to 2 green chilies
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp butter or ghee (clarified butter)
1 ½ tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp dry mint leaves, crushed
1 to 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
4 cups water
1. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves.
2. Sauté for a few seconds.
3. Add onions and fry till light brown.
4. Next, add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and fennel powder. Mix everything well and sauté for a minute.
5. Add soaked rice, lentils, green chilies and salt.
6. Give it a stir and continue to fry for 2 minutes.
7. Add water and bring it to a boil. Cover and simmer over a medium flame.
8. Keep stirring from time to time.
9. Cook until soft and the water has almost evaporated.
10. Add the butter or ghee, garam masala powder, mint powder and coriander leaves.
11. Serve with yoghurt.
Tell us about your favourite recipes at email@example.com