1. Rinse the rice and soak it in sufficient water to cover the rice for 10 minutes. Drain it and set aside. Prepare all the ingredients while the rice is soaking and set them aside.
2. Boil fresh water in a separate pot, and add a little salt. Add the rice, stirring it gently once to make sure does not stick on the bottom. Let it simmer until al dente (10 to 15 minutes); then remove it from the heat and drain the excess water.
3. While the rice is cooking, cook the spices. Heat olive oil or ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cloves and black pepper; stir-fry until they are fragrant and the spices crackle.
Tip: Using olive oil instead of ghee may seem strange, but for health reasons, olive oil is a better choice. Use a non-stick pan and reduce the amount of oil or ghee by half.
4. Add carrot and broccoli and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes (until cooked al dente). Remove the vegetables and keep them warm; remove and discard the whole spices.
5. To serve, gently fold in the reserved stir-fried vegetables into the rice and transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Image courtesy: Shutterstock
Tell us about your favourite recipes at email@example.com