Mubadala Energy confirmed the discovery of a gas reservoir in offshore Malaysia on Tuesday.
The gas was discovered in block SK320, off the coast of Sarawak province, the company said.
Preliminary analysis showed a significant gas column of more than 110 metres within the pinnacle carbonate reef reservoir.
Mansoor Mohamed Al Hamed, CEO of Mubadala Energy, said: “This discovery further cements our position in Malaysia as a reliable and trusted operator with deep technical capabilities. Gas demand in Southeast Asia continues to grow and we look forward to helping meet those energy needs, in line with our strategy to play an active role in the energy transition.”
The Cengkih-1 exploration well, where was gas was found, is located near the Pegaga field, one of the fields within the SK320 Block, which recently marked the successful production of commercial gas. The Pegaga field recorded the discovery of 1 trillion cubic feet of additional gas initial in place, following the post-drill results, confirming a larger and better quality reservoir.
Mubadala Energy is the operator of block SK320, with 55 per cent participating interest in the production sharing contract. The remaining 45 per cent is held by Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd and Sarawak Shell Berhad.
Since entering Malaysia in 2010, Mubadala Energy has made six gas discoveries.