Dubai: Rights group Amnesty International said Thursday that Saudi Arabia would postpone the flogging of blogger Raef Badawi, whose case has sparked international criticism, for a second week on medical grounds.
“The planned flogging of Raef Badawi will be suspended this Friday after a medical committee assessed he should not undergo a second round of lashes on health grounds,” the London-based watchdog said in a statement.
He has been sentenced to 1,000 lashes for insulting Islam and is serving a 10-year jail term.
Badawi, 30, received the first 50 lashes of his sentence outside a mosque in the Red Sea city of Jeddah on January 9.
He was expected to undergo 20 flogging sessions to complete the punishment, but last Friday his wife said the second round had been delayed on medical grounds.
Ensaf Haidar, who has sought asylum with her children in Canada, also said her husband’s case has been referred to the supreme court, possibly paving the way for an appeal.
Amnesty said a committee of several doctors carried out a series of tests at a Jeddah hospital on Wednesday and recommended against a new session of caning.
But “there is no way of knowing whether the Saudi Arabian authorities will disregard the medical advice and allow the flogging to go ahead,” Said Boumedouha, Amnesty’s deputy Middle East and North Africa director, said in the statement.
Badawi co-founded the now-banned Saudi Liberal Network along with women’s rights campaigner Suad al-Shammari, who was also accused of insulting Islam and arrested last October.
The charges against Badawi were brought after his group criticised clerics and the kingdom’s notorious religious police, who have been accused of a heavy-handed enforcement of Sharia.
The international reaction to Badawi’s punishment even spread into the world of professional football this week, when German politicians criticised Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich for playing a friendly match in Saudi Arabia while criticism of the kingdom’s rights record swirls.
On Tuesday, Austria’s chancellor threatened to withdraw support for a Saudi-financed religious dialogue centre unless it condemns Badawi’s public flogging.
The same day, in an open letter published by British newspaper the Independent, 18 Nobel prize winners called on Saudi academics to condemn Badawi’s punishment.
The United States, Sweden, and Reporters Without Borders (RSF) have denounced the flogging, saying Badawi was exercising his right to freedom of expression.
Canada has also condemned the sentence and called for a pardon.
UN human rights chief Zaid Ra’ad Al Hussein has urged ailing Saudi King Abdullah to pardon Badawi, saying flogging is “cruel and inhuman” and prohibited under international human rights law.