Riyadh Saudi Arabia
General view of Riyadh city, after the Saudi government eased a curfew, following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease on May 7. Image Credit: Reuters

Dubai: The number of coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia topped 70,000 on Saturday, after 2,442 people have tested positive for coronavirus, taking the overall infections in the country to 70,161, the Ministry of Health announced.

Despite an increase in daily confirmed infections, the number of recoveries continues to grow as well, with 2,233 COVID-19 patients recovering fully, bringing the total number of patients recovered so far to 41,236.

During the daily media briefing, the ministry announced the death of 15 COVID-19 patients in the last 24 hours, pushing the country’s total fatalities toll to 379.

Riyadh has topped Saturday’s list of cities with the highest number of COVID-19 cases with 794 people testing positive for the virus, followed by Mecca with 466 and Jeddah with 444 cases while Medina recorded 271 cases. Dammam reported 79 new cases while Al Jubail confirmed 77 cases.

Saturday’ saw a spike the number of females getting infected with the virus where 79 per cent of the total cases were female while the rest 21 per cent were male divided as follows: 10 per cent children, 86 per cent are adults while 4 per cent are among the elderly; 35 per cent of the cases are Saudis and 65 per cent are expats.

Speaking during the daily press briefing, the Health Ministry’s spokesman Dr Mohammad Al Abdul Ali noted that the total number of recoveries has outpaced the overall tally of active cases, which now stands at 28,546.

He added that currently 339 of COVID-19 patients are in critical condition.