Asha Devi with her son-in-lawturned- husband Suraj Mahto. Image Credit: Courtesy: Suraj Mahto

Patna: A man who fell in love with his mother-in-law and subsequently married her has now filed a petition in the court seeking divorce, reports said on Tuesday.

The court is yet to decide over the matter.

Suraj Mahta, 22, a resident of Puraini village in Madhepura district of Bihar, had hit headlines in June this year when he married his mother-in-law Asha Devi, 42, adding a new twist to a modern-day “love story”.

“I have come to realise my folly now. I admit I have committed the mistake but will never repeat in future. Now, I no longer treat her [mother-in-law] as my wife. Rather, I have started paying her regard as a mother,” says a guilt-ridden Mahto.

He said he would try his best to persuade his first wife, Lalita Devi, to stay with him. His first wife stays with her father. Incidentally, Lalita is the daughter of his mother-in-law.

His mother-in-law too regrets her act. “No longer do I treat him as my husband but as a son-in-law. We have already a filed divorce petition in the court and I want to return to my husband as soon as possible,” Asha Devi told local media.

Both of them got married in a local court in June this year, ignoring strong objections and protests from the society. The most unusual wedding of the season took place at Dhamdaha block in Purnia district.

Mahto was initially married to Lalita Devi, a resident of Purnia district, and the couple also had a son.

The twist in the tale came when Mahto fell ill and his mother-in-law came to see her ailing son-in-law.

In due course, they fell in love. The affection grew so intense that they would talk for hours over the phone.

If that was not enough, the man began frequently meeting his mother-in-law after she returned to her home.

When the man’s wife came to know about this, she tried hard to convince her mother to stay away but she refused.

The wife even requested her father, who worked in a factory in Delhi, to intervene. But his efforts too were in vain.

The local villagers also objected to their “unholy” relation — still, nothing worked.

Eventually, they eloped on June 1.

Five days later, they finally reached a local court, and filed an affidavit in the court as a formal solemnisation of their marriage.