Washington: The coronavirus pandemic killed a record 865 people in the United States in the 24 hours until Tuesday evening, according to a tally compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
The US death toll rose from 3,008 at 8.30pm EST on Monday to 3,873 at 8.30pm EST on Tuesday.
The United States now has 188,172 confirmed cases, by far the highest of any country, ahead of Italy, Spain and China.
- COVID-19: How America became a land of denial
- COVID-19: Lord’s, US Open tennis venue throw open doors to combat pandemic
- COVID-19 hits hundreds of US police amid protective gear shortages
- Why global companies are racing against time to make ventilators
- COVID-19: 'Please come help us': New York begs for medical workers