A signboard on the Sahara Mall in Sharjah catches fire. Image Credit: Robert Isurina Castro/Gulf News Reader

Sharjah: A fire broke out in Sahara Centre in Sharjah on Friday evening.

A Gulf News journalist at the scene said he saw people and vehicles being evacuated from the mall and several fire engines have been pressed into service.

A Sharjah Civil Defence official said the fire started from a signboard on the mall facing the parking lot. He said some exposed wire on the sign board caused a short circuit due to the rain.

The fire, which began around 7pm was quickly brought under control.

The mall was evacuated as a precautionary measure and no one was injured in the incident, the official added. 

Have you witnessed the fire? Send in your comments and pictures