Paris: Ashleigh Barty holds on to top spot in the WTA rankings released Monday but Karolina Pliskova has narrowed the gap heading into the Australia Open.
Dumped out of the Brisbane International in straight sets last week, Barty retains a comfortable cushion of 1,607 points over the Czech, who went on to win the Brisbane title for the third time in four years on Sunday.
Barty is aiming to become the first Australian to win her home Grand Slam since Christine O’Neil in 1976 and continues her preparations this week in Adelaide
Naomi Osaka of Japan, beaten by Pliskova in a marathon semi-final at Brisbane, moves up one place to third at the expense of Simona Halep, who is also fine-tuning her Australian Open challenge in Adelaide.
Serena Williams, who ended a three-year title drought with victory in Sunday’s Auckland Classic final, also moves up one place to ninth.
1. Ashleigh Barty (AUS) 7,547 pts
2. Karolina Plmskova (CZE) 5,940
3. Naomi Osaka (JPN) 5,496
4. Simona Halep (ROU) 5,461
5. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 5,075
6. Bianca Andreescu (CAN) 4,935
7. Belinda Bencic (SUI) 4,605
8. Petra Kvitova (CZE) 4,436
9. Serena Williams (USA) 4,215
10. Kiki Bertens (NED) 4,165
11. Madison Keys (USA) 3,072
12. Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) 2,940
13. Johanna Konta (GBR) 2,813
14. Petra Martic (CRO) 2,646
15. Sofia Kenin (USA) 2,565
16. Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) 2,390
17. Elise Mertens (BEL) 2,250
18. Angelique Kerber (GER) 2,175
19. Alison Riske (USA) 2,130
20. Donna Vekic (CRO) 2,080